Yelp is a website that allows you to review and recommend products and services.
Personal data collected
Yelp collects personal information such as your name, email address, zip code, postal address, gender, phone number, date of birth, and other identifiable information. When you post publicly such as sharing your photos, ratings, reviews, tips, lists, collections, compliments, Ask the Community posts, Yelp Talk posts, and edits to business listing information, your information is available and shared online. Other information that is public includes your first name and last initial, city, neighborhood, month and year joined, profile pictures, friends, how you vote on other people’s contributions and which ones you like, where you check in or where your friends check in with you, which users you follow, and which businesses you bookmark. If you link your contacts to Yelp, they will collect their information as well. Information stored and collected when you make a purchase includes name, mobile number, email address, payment information, billing address, and any other information provided to process the transaction. Information collected on the activities you do includes your search activity, pages you view, date and time of your visit, businesses you call, and reservations, purchases or transactions you make. They may also store any information about your device, such as browser type, computer or mobile information, browser language, IP address, WiFi information, mobile carrier, mobile number, unique device identifier, advertising identifier, GPS, location information, requested and referring URLs, and any mobile apps on your phone.
Personal data usage
Yelp uses data to:
- Provide you with their services.
- Fulfill your requests.
- Improve their services.
- Engage in research and analysis.
- Personalize your experience.
- Track how you use their services.
- Provide feedback.
- Show you advertisements relevant to your interests.
- Provide customer service.
- Send you messages.
- Back up their systems.
- Allow for disaster recovery.
- Enhance the security of their services.
- Comply with legal obligations.
Cookies and similar tech
Their website is not intended for the use of children under 13 years old. If a child provides their information without parental consent, contact Yelp to remove their information.
Data shared with Yelp
How to protect your privacy
There are various ways to protect your privacy with Yelp, for example:
- Limit your public information and activities.
- Manage your messaging preferences.
- Adjust your location settings via your device.
- Opt out of online behavioral advertising at the Network Advertising Initiative, Omniture, or Digital Advertising Alliance.
- Adjust your account settings to limit the amount of information they share.
- Opt out of marketing emails in your account settings or by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email.
- Disable cookies.
- Close your Yelp account.
How to contact Yelp about your privacy
You can contact Yelp online or via postal mail at:
In the US or Canada:
Attn: Data Privacy Manager
140 New Montgomery St., 9th Floor
San Francisco, California 94105
In the EEA or other countries:
Yelp Ireland Ltd.
Attn: Data Privacy Manager
70 Sir John Rogerson’s Quay
Dublin 2, Ireland