Personal data collected
Yahoo collects personal information when you sign up, use Yahoo products, when you visit Yahoo pages and when you enter promotions or sweepstakes. When registering with Yahoo, you give them your name, email address, birth date, gender, zip code, occupation, industry, and personal interests. If you use their financial products or services, Yahoo asks for your social security number, address, and information about your assets. When you sign up for Yahoo, you are not anonymous to them. Yahoo collects information on your transactions and purchases through them and their business partners. They collect your IP address, cookie information, software and hardware you use to access their products, and the page you requested to view. If a child under 13 has a family account, they have the parent’s permission to share their child’s information. If legally required Yahoo will share your information with the police or court. Yahoo uses your personal information to show you certain ads in your target area. They do not share information with the advertises but if you click on the ad you will be confirming that you meet the target requirements.
Personal data usage
Yahoo uses data to:
- Determine which ads to show you
- Share with 3rd parties that you consent to
- Make improvements on their content
- Develop new services
- Understand how their services are used by you
When you sign up to use Yahoo, any personal information you share with them indicates your consent for them to use your information.
Cookies and similar tech
With a Yahoo account you will have the ability to log in and check email, make your own Yahoo pages or groups, and also use other Yahoo services. It is important to know how your information will be stored and used in order to protect yourself.
Data shared with Yahoo
How to protect your privacy
When using Yahoo you can change your settings to reflect what information you want to be shared with them.
You can also:
- Choose to not add your phone number to your account.
- Not access Yahoo from your phone, instead use a computer browser so it won’t collect your phone’s information.
- Clear the cookies, browsing history and more from your browser’s history settings.
- Use safe browsing or incognito in order to prevent Yahoo from saving your browser information and keeping you logged in.
- Modify your information within your Yahoo account.
- Delete the Yahoo mail app from your phone.
- Not use/sign-up for a Yahoo account.
- Delete your Yahoo account.
How to contact Yahoo about your privacy
701 First Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94089