Waze is an app that gives you free driving directions, traffic reports, and GPS navigation. The app will alert you before you approach police, accidents, road hazards, or traffic jams. If you connect the app to Facebook, you can see what your friends are doing. They also share gas prices so you can find the cheapest gas station. You can also set up carpools with other people, but this feature requires payment.
Personal data collected
Waze collects various personal data such as username, password, name, gender, mobile number, favorites, destinations that you travel to, search queries, calendar information, voice, audio, and any other files uploaded to their service, payment information, and billing address. When you submit a request to Waze, contact their support team, report a violation, or any other communication with them, they will collect that information as well. If you decide to link your social media accounts with Waze, you may choose to share your Facebook profile photo or any other information you consent to sharing.
They also automatically collect some information from you, such as GPS, your travel, detailed location information, terms or venues you searched, views and interactions with their content and ads, voice and audio information if you use those services, and your activity on third-party websites and apps that you linked to Waze.
Other information collected includes how often and how long you use their app, device type, unique identifiers, operating system type and version, battery usage, duration of communications with third party apps or services, communications with other users, IP address, domain name, apps installed on your device, crash reports, system activity, and date, time, and referral URL of your request.
Personal data usage
Waze uses data to:
- Provide their services.
- Provide navigation services.
- Create a list of Waze users you may know.
- Provide personalized ads and content.
- Maintain and improve their services.
- Analyze your usage of their services.
- Send you communications.
- Protect you from fraud or spam.
- Comply with legal requirements.
Cookies and similar tech
If you decide to turn off your location in your Waze app, some features may not be available to you.
Data shared with Waze
How to protect your privacy
You can protect your privacy with Waze by:
- Adjusting your privacy settings in the Waze app and choosing what personal information you want to share.
- Turning off personalized ads through your in-app Privacy Settings->Ads personalization.
- Deleting your account by going to their website, or going in the app under Privacy Settings and using the Delete Account function.
- Disabling online advertising cookies.
How to contact Waze about your privacy
You can contact Waze via email.