TripAdvisor is a website that gives you recommendations about hotels, travel packages, travel guides, resorts, inns, and more travel related information.
Personal data collected
TripAdvisor collects various personal information about you when you use their website or sign up for an account. Some of this information includes name, email address, postal address, mobile number, user name, password, payment and billing information. Optional information includes information about your travel plans, such as meal requests, seat selection, frequent flyer, hotel, or car rental information, luggage information, flight class, and ticketing options. If you click on their website through social media, TripAdvisor will collect your username, password, and any other information that is publicly available. For example, if you login via Facebook and TripAdvisor, they will collect your name, profile picture, gender, friend lists, and any other information you allow to be available. They automatically collect certain information from you, such as session data from your device, IP address, browser information, referring website, content viewed, pages visited, search history, and reservations made.
Personal data usage
TripAdvisor uses data to:
- Improve their website.
- Personalize your experience with them.
- Allow you to post travel reviews.
- Allow you to participate in forum discussions.
- Allow you to email trip information to yourself.
- Allow you to view newsletters and travel planning content.
- Allow you to enter sweepstakes, contests, and do surveys.
- Allow you to make transactions.
- Provide you with relevant advertising.
- Prevent fraud.
Cookies and similar tech
You can choose to not share some information with TripAdvisor, but without an account, using their website will be limited. In order to get the full use out of their website, you need a member account. Such features include posting travel reviews, participate in forums, email content from the website to yourself, view newsletters and travel planning content, and enter sweepstakes, surveys, and contests. Some personal information is also required to make transactions on their website or ask them questions. TripAdvisor does not support the use of their website to children under 13 years old.
Data shared with TripAdvisor
How to protect your privacy
There are various ways to protect your privacy with TripAdvisor, such as:
- Disconnect your Facebook from TripAdvisor’s website by going to Member Profile, clicking on Edit Profile through the Your TripAdvisor drop down menu, and clicking on Disconnect on the Facebook Connect status box.
- If your friends have shared information about you via Facebook, you can edit your Facebook privacy settings to not allow this.
- Disable cookies.
- Disable relevant advertising on their website.
- Opt out of targeted advertising.
- Close your account.
How to contact TripAdvisor about your privacy
You can contact TripAdvisor through postal mail at:
Attn: Legal Department, Privacy Officer
400 1st Avenue
Needham, MA 02494