Reddit is a website that is home to thousands of communities for any information you would need. People post, vote, and comment in communities for their interests.
Personal data collected
Reddit collects, shares, and uses personal information from you when you use their website, mobile app, widgets, and other online products or services through them. If you interact with them or receive communications from them, they will collect data from their interaction with you as well. Reddit collects information about you when you create an account, submit content, take any actions on their website, and purchase a service or product from them. This information collected includes your username and password, email address, user account preferences and settings, any posts and comments you make, messages to other users, and your reports and communications with moderators. This content may include video, text, links, images, and gifs.
When you interact with their content, they collect information from you such as your voting, saving, hiding, and reporting. This includes interactions with others, for example following, friending, or blocking. They also collect your interactions with communities, subscriptions, moderator status, and information about any products or services you purchase.
Certain information is collected automatically by Reddit, such as your IP address, user-agent string, browser type, operating system, referral URLs, device information, device IDs, pages visited, links clicked, requested URL, hardware settings, search terms, location information, GPS, and Bluetooth.
Personal data usage
Reddit uses data to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve their services.
- Research and develop new services.
- Block spammers and prevent fraud.
- Protect the safety of its users.
- Send you technical and administrative notices.
- Provide customer service.
- Communicate with you about products, services, events, offers, and promotions that may be of interest to you.
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities with their services.
- Personalize and provide advertisements and content relevant to your interests.
- Comply with legal requirements.
Cookies and similar tech
If you decide to delete your account, your profile gets deleted but your posted content does not. You have to delete those individually. Children under the age of 13 are not permitted to open an account with Reddit.
Data shared with Reddit
How to protect your privacy
You can protect your privacy on Reddit by:
- Disabling cookies.
- Changing your information through their Help Center.
- Deleting your account through the user preferences page.
- Deleting the specific content you have posted.
- Opting out of Google Analytics.
- Changing your ad settings.
- Opting out of third party advertisers such as the Digital Advertising Alliance, Network Advertising Initiative, or if you are in the EEA, Your Online Choices.
- Changing your email preferences.
How to contact Reddit about your privacy
You can contact Reddit through email (EU:email) or postal mail at:
In the US:
548 Market St. #16093
San Francisco, California 94104
In the EU:
c/o First European Data Rep B.V.
Schiphol Boulevard 195
1118 BG Schiphol, The Netherlands