Personal data collected
Microsoft collects your personal information through the settings you have for privacy that you choose and through the interactions, use, and experiences of Microsoft products. They also obtain personal information through third-parties. You can decline sharing of certain personal information if you so choose. Certain Microsoft products will require some personal information in order to be used. Some information needs to be collected by law or to enter into or carry out a contract with you.
Personal data usage
Microsoft uses data to:
- Provide their products to consumers
- Improve and develop their products
- Personalize their products and make recommendations to you
- Advertise and market to you, by using your data to tailor the ads to your interests
- Complete transactions
- Provide a product
- Maintain security of their products and the people that use them.
Microsoft also uses your data for market research and to run their business. They use your personal data to provide a better, more personalized experience for you.
Cookies and similar tech
With a Microsoft account you can sign into their products and select Microsoft partners services. Personal information in your Microsoft account includes credentials, name and contact data, payment data, device and usage data, your contacts, information about your activities and interests, and favorites. Signing into your account allows personalization and consistent experiences across Microsoft products, allows you to use cloud data storage, allows you to make payments and more.
Data shared with Microsoft
How to protect your privacy
When using Microsoft you can change your settings to reflect what information you want to be shared with them.
You can also:
- Clear the cookies, browsing history and more from your browser’s history settings.
- Use safe browsing or incognito in order to prevent Microsoft from saving your browser information and keeping you logged in.
- Modify your information within your Microsoft account.
- Not use/sign-up for a Microsoft account.
- Delete your Microsoft account.
How to contact Microsoft about your privacy
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, Washington 98052
Telephone: +1 (425) 882 8080
Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited
Attn: Data Protection Officer
One Microsoft Place
South County Business Park, Leopardstown, Dublin 18
Telephone: +353 (0) 1 295 3826