eBay collects information from you when you sign up for an account, make a bid, sell or buy something.
Personal data collected
eBay collects your personal information such as name, location, device information, browser information, address, mobile number, email address, transactions you make, adding items to your cart, adding to your watch list, creating collections, and following others. They also collect your financial information if you sell or buy with them along with postage, billing, Tax ID, and tracking numbers. Optionally you can provide your age, gender, interests, and favorites. If you participate in community opportunities such as discussions, messaging other eBay buyers or sellers, chats or if you send eBay an email, they collect all that information from you.
Personal data usage
eBay uses data to:
- Customize their websites towards your interests.
- Provide payment processing.
- Maintain account management.
- Improve their services.
- Keep their services safe from fraud.
- Contact you about your account.
- Resolve a dispute.
- Collect any fees owed.
- Provide customer service.
- Enforce their policies.
- Provide location based services.
- Customize ads to your interests.
- Contact you for feedback on their products and services.
- Deliver service updates.
- Share promotions with you.
- Measure a seller’s performance.
- Maintain security on their apps and websites.
Cookies and similar tech
An eBay account allows you to sell your items, buy new or used items, collect items, connect with other sellers and buyers, find an item that cannot be found anywhere else, and use the app they offer to buy or sell items.
Data shared with eBay
How to protect your privacy
There are many ways to protect your information on eBay, including:
- Going through your settings and opting out of emails.
- Going through your browser settings and turning off cookies.
- Do not share your credit card, instead use PayPal.
- Do not open an eBay account.
- Delete your eBay account.
How to contact eBay about your privacy
You can use this form to email them or contact them at:
Attn: Legal – Global Privacy Office
2025 Hamilton Avenue
San Jose, California