American Express is a credit card issuing company. You can also get business solutions, rewards, and more from them.
Personal data collected
American Express collects your personal information when you visit or use their website or app, receive or reply to communications from them, view or click their advertisements or other online content, and interact with their social media, and other websites or apps. Information is collected when you fill out a form or survey, book travel, register, login or update your account settings, enter a competition, register for a marketing offer, or buy something on their website. This information includes name, account number, email address, postal address, mobile number, and date of birth. Information that is collected via cookies includes operating system, browser version, type of device you use, IP address, internet service provider, domain information, location information, GPS, what you search for, what pages you visit, which advertisements or online content you click on or view, your browser or app use activities over time, if you click on and view their electronic communications, and any other information available publicly.
Personal data usage
American Express uses data to:
- Recognize you across devices.
- Complete transactions.
- Inform you of updates to your accounts, products, and services.
- Update you on new features and benefits.
- Answer any questions you have.
- Respond to any requests.
- Offer you location based services.
- Find the best way and time to contact you.
- Improve their website and app.
- Show you advertisements tailored to your interests.
- Send you advertisements, promotions, and offers.
- Analyze if their promotions, offers, and advertisements are effective.
- Personalize your experience on their website.
- Conduct research and analysis.
- Allow you to rate and review their products and services.
- Review and change their products or services.
- Protect you against fraud.
- Prevent illegal activities.
- Evaluate and process your applications.
Cookies and similar tech
American Express account
With an American Express account you can sign up for credit cards, travel, rewards, and more.
Data shared with American Express
How to protect your privacy
You can turn off location based advertisements via your mobile phone and you can also:
- Turn off targeted advertising.
- Login in to update your privacy preferences.
- Unsubscribe from emails at the bottom of the email.
- Register for the Do Not Call list.
- Register for mail preference service.
- Close your account by calling the number on the back of your card.
How to contact American Express about your privacy
Call the number on the back of your American Express card or contact them online.