SurveyMonkey is a website that allows you to make and share surveys, which can be helpful for the casual user or businesses. There are many other services they offer for employers other than surveys, such as automatically collecting customer’s words and publishing it with their permission, creating new marketing content, learning to understand how their employees do their job, collecting, reviewing, and selecting candidates for scholarships, accepting online payment, generating leads, running market research and getting responses from people all around the world, and more. You can sign up for their website for free, but if you are a company that needs all of the above, it’d be better to sign up for a business plan which costs money.
Personal data collected
SurveyMonkey collects your personal data when you visit and do stuff on their website. Such information includes your contact information, webpages you visit, what you click on, when you perform those actions, language preference, what you buy, IP address, operating system version, device type, device ID, MAC address, system and performance information, browser type, and UUID information.
They also collect information in a log file of each time you access their website, what you did there, your internet service provider, files viewed on their website, device type, and time stamps. If you are referred to SurveyMonkey, they collect that information from the referral.
If you are a Creator, i.e. someone that creates or collaborates on surveys, forms, applications, and questionnaires, or if you are commenting on, or reviewing forms, surveys, and applications, they collect more information from you. Such information includes your name, username, password, email address, payment information, billing address, and other personal information.
Personal data usage
SurveyMonkey uses data to:
- Deliver their services to you.
- Improve their services.
- Develop new products and services.
- Tailor advertisements to their users’ interests.
- Determine the success of and improve their advertising campaigns.
- Respond to inquiries.
- Send you communications and marketing information.
- Build a profile to help your business to find other relevant features and services offered.
- Troubleshoot problems with their service.
- Monitor abuse and protect you from fraud.
- Protect you from spam and comply with legal requirements.
- Understand trends and how you interact with their services.
- Fix any bugs in their service.
- Provide you with services.
- Bill your account.
- Provide you with customer support.
- Contact you about your service or account.
- Provide you with a personalized experience.
Cookies and similar tech
You can control how long they retain your data in your account. They do not provide their services for minors, under the age of 13. If they find they have information from a minor, they will delete that data right away. You can also contact customer support to have a child’s data deleted.
Data shared with SurveyMonkey
How to protect your privacy
You can protect your privacy on SurveyMonkey by:
- Opting out of marketing communications in your account settings.
- Clicking “unsubscribe” in the marketing email to stop them.
- Disabling cookies.
- Opting out of ads tailored to your interests.
- Deleting all your data in your account.
- Deleting your account by logging into your account via computer, clicking your username and selecting My Account, scrolling down and clicking Permanently delete account, clicking the check boxes and entering your password, and then click Yes, delete this account.
- Cancelling your subscription by logging into your account, clicking your username and selecting My Account, clicking the Billing Details tab, under the Billing Profile going to Auto-renew, and then clicking the link next to the auto-renew setting to disable or cancel your subscription.
How to contact SurveyMonkey about your privacy
You can contact SurveyMonkey by email or postal mail at:
In the US:
By Postal Mail:
1 Curiosity Way
San Mateo, California 94403
By Postal Mail:
SurveyMonkey Europe UC
2 Shelbourne Buildings,