Spotify is a music player and website that allows you to listen to music for free. If you decide to sign up for Spotify Premium, you will no longer get ads and you can listen offline. This costs $9.99/month and you can get a 30 day free trial if you want to try it out. Otherwise you can use their services for free, you just have to deal with ads and you cannot listen to music offline.
Personal data collected
Spotify collects personal information from you when you sign up for their services, use their services, and if you decide to give them some additional personal information so you can access more features and functionality. Such personal information includes your email address, birth date, gender, country, what songs you have played, what playlists you have created, postal code, type of Spotify plan, date and time of requests made, songs listened to, video content you watched, and your interactions with other Spotify users.
Other information includes messages you receive or send via Spotify, your interactions with customer service, URL information, cookie data, IP address, types of devices used to access Spotify, unique device IDs, device attributes, network connection type (WiFi, LTE, 3G, Bluetooth) and provider, browser type, network and device performance, information enabling digital rights management, operating system, and Spotify application version.
Optionally you can provide the following information to them (not required): access to your photos or camera, precise mobile device location, voice data, contacts, and payment information and billing address (if you sign up for the free trial).
Personal data usage
Spotify uses data to:
- Provide, personalize, and improve your experience with their services.
- Provide customized, personalized, or localized content.
- Show you recommendations, features, and advertising.
- Understand how you access and use their services.
- Ensure the functionality of their services.
- Develop new products or services.
- Analyze your use of their services.
- Communicate with you about your Spotify service.
- Process any payments you make.
- Prevent fraud, abuse, and spam.
- Comply with legal requirements.
- Send you marketing, research, promotions, contests, surveys, and sweepstakes via email, notifications, or other messages.
- Provide you with features and advertising based on your location.
Cookies and similar tech
Spotify is not for children under the age of 13. If you find a child under 13 years old using their services, contact Spotify using the “Contact Us” form, to have them delete the child’s information.
Data shared with Spotify
How to protect your privacy
You can protect your privacy on Spotify by:
- Disabling browser cookies.
- Selecting ‘Limit Ad Tracking’ on iOS devices or ‘Opt out of Interest-Based Ads’ via Android devices.
- Opting out of internet based advertising.
- Cancelling your subscription.
- Closing your account by logging in, selecting Account, then select I want to close my Spotify account permanently.
How to contact Spotify about your privacy
You can contact Spotify via online form or contact them via postal mail at:
Spotify USA Inc.
45 W 18th Street, Floor 7
New York, NY 10011