Expedia is a travel website that allows you to book hotels, flights, cruises, and more.
Personal data collected
Expedia collects person information when you use their website. Some of this information includes name, postal address, email address, mobile number, and date of birth. You may also need to provide your payment information and billing address to make any payments. Other information collected includes information on other people traveling with you, marketing preferences, login name or member ID plus password, health related information, passport or driver’s license, religion, and dietary needs. Information that is collected automatically includes IP address, device type, unique device identifier, browser information, your internet service provider, operating system, carrier, referring website, GPS, location information, pages accessed, links clicked, trips viewed, and the time and date they were viewed. When you use their mobile app, they collect information such as functionality of apps you use, error reporting information, and mobile device type. If you link your social media accounts to your Expedia account, they collect that information as well, such as your gender, profile picture, and town or district you live in. When you contact them, they record your telephone call, chat log, and email conversation for quality and training purposes.
Personal data usage
Expedia uses data to:
- Enable your travel booking.
- Create or register an account.
- Provide services and information you request.
- Have an emergency contact for you.
- Update frequent flyer or loyalty program rewards.
- Subscribe you to marketing emails.
- Let you submit questions to them.
- Allow you to participate in surveys or competitions.
- Improve their apps.
- Track how you respond to their advertisements.
- Send you travel confirmations.
- Protect you from fraud.
- Process payments.
- Verify your identity.
- Provide customer service.
- Improve their products and services.
- Show you advertisements.
- Prevent illegal activities.
Cookies and similar tech
If you connect your social media accounts to your Expedia account, they may share some of the information on Expedia with your social media accounts.
Data shared with Expedia
How to protect your privacy
You can do various things to protect your privacy, such as:
- Turning off location data collection.
- Change your app settings to control what information is shared with them.
- Remove their app from your phone.
- Disable cookies.
- Opt out of tailored advertising.
- Contact Expedia to close your account or cancel reservations.
How to contact Expedia about your privacy
You can contact Expedia online to ask them questions about your privacy.